TOMATO SWEET POTATO BISQUE adapted from CARLA HALL
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium sweet potato
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 rib celery, cleaned and diced
1 sweet onion, FINELY chopped
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons FRESH thyme leaves
14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
4 cups unsalted vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Micro greens or chopped green onions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Place the sweet potato on a baking sheet and bake until soft, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then peel it and roughly chop it.
- Heat avocado oil and butter in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until the onions just turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are nice and brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper, tomatoes with their juices and the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted sweet potato.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until silky smooth.
- Return the soup to the skillet and heat on low.
- Stir in the cream.
- Season to taste and serve hot with the micro greens or sliced green onions and
BACON JALAPENO GRILLED CHEESE CROUTONS
2 slices bacon per sandwich, cooked crisp
FRESH sourdough bread
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
1 SMALL can diced jalapeños, drained well
QUALITY medium cheddar slices
- Beat together the cream cheese and diced jalapeños.
- Butter the outside of the bread slices.
- Spread one slice with the cream cheese jalapeño mixture.
- Lay bacon pieces on top of cream cheese mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese slice and other slice of bread, buttered side out.
- Place the sandwich in a nonstick skillet and turn the heat to medium-low, cooking and turning occasionally, until the bread is toasted golden brown and the cheese is completely melted through.
- Cut into croutons.