WHITE BEAN, CHICKEN & SAUSAGE STEW
1 Johnsonville beef sausage, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
1-2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks **(see notes)
2 + 1 tablespoons avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 onion, chopped or 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
2 medium carrots, peeled, halved and sliced into half moons
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped FRESH parsley
1 tablespoon chopped FRESH thyme
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can white Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
3-4 cups chicken broth **(see notes)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Garlic salt
1 baguette, cut or torn into bite sized pieces
Parmesan cheese, garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage pieces and cook 4-5 minutes until browned. Remove from pan to drain off excess grease.
- Season chicken pieces with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Add to pan and sear 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Remove chicken pieces and add to sausage to drain.
- Add remaining oil to pan along with the onions, carrots and celery mirepoix to saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, rinsed beans and chicken stock, stirring to blend.
- Bring to a SLOW boil, turn down heat and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Return meats to pan along with Parsley and Thyme, stirring to blend and coat meat pieces with sauce.
- While stew is simmering, make the croutons.
- Preheat broiler.
- Melt butter and whisk in garlic salt.
- Toss croutons to coat in butter mixture.
- Transfer bread pieces to sheet pan. Broil until golden, about 2 minutes, but watch closely to prevent burning.
- Serve with croutons and Parmesan sprinkle.
- If you prefer a soup to a stew, use the 4 cups of chicken stock. Otherwise use 3 +/- cups to your desired consistency.
- Often I substitute turkey breast or even rotisserie chicken pieces. If you use rotisserie chicken pieces, wait to add them until you are adding the sausage back in.