1 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cup finely minced Vidalia onion
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons half and half
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic, minced
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
3/4 pound lean ground beef
3/4 pound ground pork
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a wire rack and set inside a jelly roll pan.
- Combine the oats, half the onion, half and half, garlic, egg, salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika in a large bowl.
- Crumble the beef over the oats mixture and using your hands, mix well, but with minimal mixing.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on wire rack.
- Bake 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Remove rack from pan.
- Wipe pan dry of any grease.
- Add meatballs back to pan.
1/2 cup apricot pineapple preserves
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons honey
- Combine the ketchup, preserves, brown sugar, liquid smoke and remaining onion in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat, add honey and simmer 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Drizzle sauce over meatballs and turn to coat.
- Return pan to oven and bake another 15 minutes.
- Arrange on a platter and serve.