1/2 cup (whole)* milk
1 stick (1/2 cup – 8 tablespoons) butter
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon PURE* vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups quick oatmeal
1/2 cup FINELY chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan melt the butter.
- Whisk in the milk and vanilla.
- Stir in the sugar and cocoa until dissolved and bring to a SLOW boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl sift together the oatmeal and nuts.
- Pour the cocoa mixture over the oatmeal and nuts.
- Use 2 spatulas (see note) to mix it all together until well coated. (see notes)
- With your hands (see note) form into balls and cool on wax paper. (see notes)
- Based on the age of the recipe card and style of writing I decided whole milk and PURE vanilla extract were a MUST for the texture and flavor of this recipe to be best.
- I spray the spatulas with non-stick cooking spray to keep the mixture from sticking. I use food grade rubber gloves also sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to form the balls with. BUT, the best thing I finally started doing was using a cookie scoop sprayed with non stick spray to make the cookies more even.