PIE CRUST (makes 2 9 inch pie crusts)
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon FINE sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons REALLY COLD** unsalted butter, cut into cubes
6 tablespoons REALLY COLD** Crisco stick**, cut into cubes
6-8 tablespoons Vodka
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry blender cut in butter and Crisco until mixture is crumbly.
- Using a fork add Vodka 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture comes together to form a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a ball.
- Form into 2 disks and wrap in saran.
- Refrigerate at least an hour.
- When ready to bake, roll out 1 disk on a lightly floured surface to size and transfer to pie plate.
- Trim crust and flute edge.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Line pie crust with a double layer of foil and fill with beans or pie weights. DO NOT PRICK THE PIE SHELL!
- Bake on lower rack 15-20 minutes until edges are a light golden brown.
- Remove weights and foil and bake 5 minutes more.
- Cool COMPLETELY on wire rack.
- Reduce heat to 325°.
3 1/2 cups FRESH cranberries
1/2 cup chopped cherry pieces
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 LARGE eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla
- In a large sauce pan combine, cranberries, cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, stir occasionally and cook uncovered 7-10 minutes until cranberries have all popped.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, flour and salt until well blended.
- Gradually whisk in about 1/2 cup of the cranberry mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add back to the cranberry mixture and return to a low heat stirring constantly until a gentle boil. Cook a few minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool while preparing the meringue.
4 LARGE egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and vanilla until foamy.
- Add the remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time beating on high until sugar is dissolved.
- Beat until you have stiff glossy peaks.
- Pour warm filling into pie crust.
- Spread meringue over filling sealing the edges to the pastry.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until meringue is golden brown
- COOL COMPLETELY on wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate and CHILL at least 4 hours before serving.
- Cranberries will pop on their own, but if they need a little help, use the back of a spoon and pop them against the side of the pan.
- After I cut the butter and Crisco into cubes I place them on a small plate in my ice tray until I need them.
- You can use frozen cranberries and cherries, but be sure to thaw completely and drain well.
- Pineapple juice can easily be substituted for the orange juice.
- For BEST results chill beaters and metal mixing bowl in freezer for making the meringue.