3 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
4 eggs, room temperature
1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups lemon curd
3 cups buttercream icing (recipe below)
- Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and grated lemon zest with an electric mixer in separate mixing bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat eggs in 1 at a time, thoroughly.
- With electric mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between two buttered and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cakes are golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cooled layers from pans.
- Cut layers in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream icing followed by a thin layer of lemon curd evenly between the layers and stack on serving plate.
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine (softened)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons milk
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Gradually add milk; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.