The whole island is still under rehab since Katrina and I'm happy to say starting to look more like it did when I was a kid. So we decided we'd at least go inside and check it out. It was like Alice sliding down the rabbit hole! Rudy and Paco is a restaurant with a central and South American influence with very uniques menu items. Every bite as scrumptious as the one before it. It is also worth the price! Inside was this beautiful restaurant with linen table cloths, service beyond belief and FANTASTIC food!
Don't be fooled though this is a small restaurant (that's a mirror at the back making it look bigger) so be sure to make a reservation. They even have a dress code for dinner! Yes, in 2016 they will turn you away in casual clothing at dinner.
The meal began with a plate of fried plantain chips with the most fantastic tomato jam. There was also some sort of spinach dip that neither of us cared much for. My meal included a cup of their crab bisque which I immediately started trying to duplicate. I think I finally did it! Now on to all the rest of their menu items!
If you are on Galveston Island make sure to make a reservation for Rudy & Paco.
1 cup onion, minced
1 cup carrot, minced
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1⁄2 cup cooking sherry
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Fresh chives, minced
1⁄2 lb raw lobsters, chopped or 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat
- Saute onion and carrot in 2 tablespoons butter until soft. Set aside.
- In 4 quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and add flour, whisking constantly over medium heat until roux becomes light brown (about 5 minutes). DO NOT BURN!
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly to ensure mixture stays smooth.
- Add onions and carrots, cover, and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add cream, sherry, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and lobster or crab and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh minced chives if desired.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!