I have always used a combination of onion, carrot and celery as a soup base long before I knew it had a name, Mirepoix. I didn't know I'd been cooking French all these years.
CHICKEN BLT SOUP
1 pound bacon, thick sliced
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine (I like a nice moscato)
6 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
Torn romaine and or celery leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and then sear the chicken thighs quickly in the hot grease. Transfer chicken thighs to slow cooker.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to bacon grease and saute' until seared. Add to slow cooker.
- Deglaze pan with wine being sure to scrape up all the bits and pieces.
- Add broth to the wine and bring to a boil.
- As soon as broth mixtures boils add it to the slow cooker.
- Cover and slow cook on high 1 1/2-2 hours until chicken is fork tender and tears apart easily.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top each bowl with a handful of lettuce, bacon piece, croutons and grated cheese before serving.