This is NOT a spontaneous recipe. You have to plan! This is best when the chops are marinated for the full 24 hours. I also make the dirty rice the day before while making the brine so that the flavors meld together.
Many dirty rice recipes also call for cumin and cayenne pepper. I prefer to use more paprika and omit the cumin and cayenne pepper.
SWEET & STICKY PORK CHOPS with DIRTY RICE
4 cups water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
4-6 cups ice
4-6 thick bone in pork chops
- In a large sauce pot whisk together water, salt, brown sugar and molasses.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add ice blending well to melt.
- Add pork chops.
- Cover and refrigerate 12-24 hours.
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground beef
3 teaspoons paprika
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups water
3 gloves garlic, minced
Fresh ground salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons Dark Roux (recipe below)
- In a large skillet brown the beef and pork together with garlic until well browned. Drain.
- Whisk together water, chicken broth, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Return meat to skillet and add chicken broth mixture, mixing well.
- Add butter and roux, blending well.
- Add rice, mix well, cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice is fluffy.
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup avocado oil
- Whisk together the flour and oil.
- Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until dark golden brown.
3/4 cup maple syrup or equal parts light molasses and maple syrup
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a small saucepan whisk together the vinegar and syrup.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat slightly and simmer 30 minutes or until reduced by half, whisking as necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove pork chops from brine and pat dry.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add pork chops and generously salt and pepper. Sear pork chops evenly on both sides.
- Spray large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread rice into baking dish.
- Add pork chops to baking dish in single layer.
- Top with glaze.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Garnish and serve.