This recipe makes 1 loaf, but if you want to use a Bundt pan, double the recipe. Make sure this cake bakes in a cold oven, DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN.
Total Time: 3 1/2 hr (includes cooling)
from Gourmet | September 2005
ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE POUND CAKE
1 sticks (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for buttering pan
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour plus additional for dusting
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 and 1/2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons PURE vanilla
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Generously butter pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess flour, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or 6 to 8 minutes with a handheld mixer.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and add half of flour, then all of cream, then remaining flour, mixing well after each addition.
- Scrape down side of bowl, and then beat at medium-high speed 5 minutes. Batter will become creamier and satiny.
- Transfer the batter into pan and tap the pan against work surface once or twice to eliminate air bubbles.
- Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out with a few crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around inner and outer edges of cake, then invert rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely.