This is a simple recipe, but VERY adaptable to layer cake, cup cakes, sheet cake etc... and a family favorite.
BUTTERMILK DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE with COCONUT CREAM CHEESE FROSTINGCAKE
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 JUMBO eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons PURE vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Grease and "flour" pans. I use cocoa instead of flour so the coloring matches.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda.
- Add alternately flour mixture, vanilla and buttermilk until well blended and smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan(s).
- Bake 20-50 minutes depending on pan until center springs back and toothpick comes out clean.
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla
1/3 cup flaked coconut
2 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Add coconut.
- Add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Tamy I am sorry to read about your family. Some things remain with you forever. as for thiscake its delicious an dI plan to try it out.ReplyDelete
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it. I love it's simplicity and it is VERY close to my grams old recipe that I've never found so it invoked many memories of Sunday dinners.Delete