This is even better when you take the time to make fresh whipped cream or homemade vanilla ice cream to go with it.
2 baskets fresh strawberries, sliced
2 kiwis, chopped
1 cup pureed strawberries*
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons KARO light corn syrup
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup water
2 cups flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
dash of salt
4 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup butter, softened, but not melted
¾ cup buttermilk**
- Mix together 1 cup sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch and water in a 2 quart sauce pan, cover and bring to a slow boil.
- When you reach a boil remove the lid. Add the 1 cup pureed strawberries and boil a few minutes more. Chill 10-15 minutes. After the sauce is chilled, pour over the fruit and toss gently. Return to the refrigerator to continue chilling.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the milk and butter and mix well into a soft dough. DO NOT over knead - it will become tough.
- Grease an 8 inch pie pan really well. Gently arrange dough into an even mound and pre-cut into your serving portions before baking.
- Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick done and golden brown.
- Slice each shortcake open, dot with a thin layer of honey, arrange on plate and top with a scoop of the strawberry kiwi glaze and vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
**As a substitute, Buttermilk can be made by adding 2 tablespoons of vinegar to regular milk.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!