In my mind I have this vision of a dish grams made with okra, stewed tomatoes and toast. I wanted to recreate it. It doesn't appear to have been written down anywhere. I'm sure she used stale white bread too, but since I can't find a copy anywhere, I'm writing my own version. Do you know how hard it is to find okra here in the west?
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, sliced thin
1 handful snap peas
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray casserole dish with PURE.
- Layer shallots on bottom, then sugar snap peas and garlic.
- Pour stewed tomatoes over top.
- Generously salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese even;y over the tomatoes.
- Butter both sides of the bread and cut into chunks.
- Layer the chunks of bread randomly on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.