I've also made it using Limes, Lemons & Limes and Bloody Oranges. We liked them all, but by far, the Lemon Lime combo was our favorite.
You'll notice in the picture with the pan that there is a very strange looking apparatus in the curd. That is an AS SEEN ON TV automatic stirrer that I picked up at Big Lots. I really thought it was going to be like so many other gadgets and go by the wayside, but I was wrong! This is the best gadget I ever indulged in. It's battery operated and is like a second pair of hands in the kitchen. All those recipes that call for "stirring constantly"are now handled by this gadget and turn out beautifully!
LEMON CHEESECAKE SQUARES
8x8 straight edge pan
2 pieces of parchment paper 8 inches wide x 16 inches long
- Alternately overlap the parchment pieces so that they cross each other and fold over all 4 sides.
- Push the parchment into the edges and the corners making a straight crease.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Graham cracker crumbs
- Using a fork add graham cracker crumbs until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press into the bottom of prepared pan.
1 pound cream cheese, softened at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 LARGE eggs
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition until completely smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, strained twice
1/2 cup sugar
2 LARGE eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs and lemon juice until sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a small non-reactive sauce pan cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until steaming, but not boiling. The mixture will have thickened.
- Remove from heat and add butter, stirring until butter is melted.
- Pour through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Preheat oven to 325˚.
- Prepare crust.
- Prepare cheesecake portion.
- Bake 40 minutes or until sides are slightly puffed, cake is not too jiggly and center is dry to the touch.
- While baking, prepare the curd.
- Remove cheesecake from oven.
- Pour hot curd on top of cheesecake and lightly spread to even out.
- Cool 20 minutes on rack.
- Move to the refrigerator and chill 5-6 hours or overnight before serving.